If you have ever been awakened by the sound of scurrying feet in the attic, you know the feeling of disgust and dread that comes with knowing that there is a mouse in the house. If you have rodents, you will also notice gnaw and bite marks, as well as fresh droppings.
Rodents can do a lot of damage. Gnaw marks will likely appear on hard surfaces in your home, especially in the kitchen. They can even get into the siding, electrical wires, ventilation ducts, and areas around pipes within your walls.
Disease Carried by Mice
Mice and rats carry several diseases, which is why you should allow the professionals at Critter Control® to handle any infestation. Commonly transmitted diseases include:
- Mice and rats both spread Salmonella to people through contact with mouse droppings, especially via contaminated food.
- Murine Typhus. This disease can be treated with antibiotics but sometimes result in death in the elderly or chronically infirm.
- Rats and mice carry this often fatal disease.
- Rat-bite Fever. Fatal in 10 percent of untreated cases are contracted from rats.
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS). Infection with hantavirus can progress to HPS, which is often fatal.
- Mice host small tapeworms that can spread to humans who eat foods infected with mouse droppings.
Hopefully, this deters you from going into contaminated areas to put down poisons and traps to defend your home. Remember, Critter Control® of Tallahassee is the best solution for rodent problems. Call us today with any questions or to schedule your free home consultation.